Catholic Schools’ Office External Special Character Review
The New Zealand Catholic Bishop’s Conference (NZCBC) wishes the review to show how effective the School is in handing on the faith and forming a new generation of Catholics; this includes evaluating the efficacy of Religious Education and how the whole School community engages in authentic Catholic Christian witness and evangelisation.
English for Speakers of Other Languages – ESOL Verification Visit August 2017
The school received a very favourable report.
The ESOL Verification Visit audits how the school is addressing the needs of ESOL-funded students . The report covers:
This includes: identification of English Language Learners (ELLs); English Language Learning Progressions (ELLPs) and documentation used by the school
ESOL Programme Support
This includes:ESOL qualifications and professional devlopment; support programmes; resources; ESOL assessments; family engagement and responding to cultural and language diversity
The full report is attached.
Education Review Office Report Recognises the Great Work at SJS
The purpose of an Education Review Office review is to give parents and the wider school community an assurance about the quality of education that a school provides. An ERO report answers the question “How effectively is this school’s curriculum promoting student learning – engagement, progress and achievement?”
Key points in the ERO report include:
- The school has a positive reporting history.
- The school’s promotion and response to student wellbeing is extensive.
- School achievement information shows that over two thirds of students are consistently achieving at and above the national standards in reading, writing and mathematics.
- The board, senior leaders and teachers use achievement information well to make positive changes for learners.
- Students’ progress and achievement is closely monitored by teachers, senior leaders and the board.
- There are high expectations and a shared responsibility for raising all student achievement.
- Student enjoyment and engagement in the learning process is clearly evident.
- Staff has high expectations of students and believes in them as capable, competent learners.
- Students talk about their learning with confidence and support the learning of their peers.
- Teachers and learning assistants have a shared commitment to and responsibility for student progress.
- Significant developments in design and documentation have strengthened the school’s curriculum.
- Oral language is the foundation stone and drives teaching approaches
- There is a strong delivery of the school’s religious education programme with its component on taha wairua.
- The school is very well placed to sustain and improve its performance and innovative practice.
- The board provides effective governance. Board decision making is strategic and is focused on improving outcomes for all students.
- Leadership in the school is highly effective. Leadership is nurtured and is evident at all levels.
- Self-review is used well to sustain and improve the school’s performance.
- The school is highly effective in engaging parents and families in authentic partnerships to support their child’s learning.
The full report can be read in the attached PDF or at
Minister of Education Congratulates Board and School:
Hon Hekia Parata, Minister of Education, wrote to the board of trustees to comment on the school being placed on the ERO 4-5 year review cycle.
The Minister recognises the demanding criteria that need to be fulfilled to achieve a 4-5 year review. She congratulates the board and all involved in providing a high quality education for SJS learners.
The full letter can be read in the attached PDF.